Diary: Hitting the Lists! (Continued)
Hitting the Lists! (Continued)
4PM: phone interview for oregonlive.com
Then George and I have a fabulous early dinner at the restaurant atop the Tattered Cover bookstore. I’m so high from the good news about the List I eat without thinking about the talk and signing to come.
The Tattered Cover is one of the world’s great independent bookstores. They’ve always made book browsers comfortable and book lovers of all ages welcome. If you get to Denver don’t miss the chance to visit and shop for books.
There’s a crowd of about 150 for tonight’s event. It couldn’t go better.
- A young woman who buys five copies of Summer Sisters, one for each of her bridesmaids (even though the wedding is a year away).
- A woman who went to summer camp with Randy.
- Another, who shows me her 20 year old signed copy of Wifey and an equally old story from People Magazine. (This gets a whole group laughing!)
- A handsome man I recognize right away. We had a sweet flirtation in New Mexico more than 20 years ago. But for the life of me I can’t remember his name.
- Melanie, the bellman’s girlfriend.
- Two women who buy six copies for their reading group. They want to talk about a summer book for their summer session. I ask them to please e-mail me and let me know how it goes.
- A group of girls – cousins – ranging in age from 9-12.
- And the emotional moments with those who stop to tell me something about reading my books when they were young.
A couple of hours later Lisa drops us back at our hotel and I fall into bed while George checks his e-mail.